Welcome or welcome back to RFPU/CIR/SEIU!
Congratulations on taking this next step in your career and we can’t wait to welcome you to our campus, hospitals, clinics, and organization. We are so happy to have you!
We wanted to take this opportunity to share with you some info about the Resident and Fellow Physician Union – Northwest (RFPU – NW), recently affiliated with the Committee of Interns and Residents (CIR), our union for residents and fellows at the University of Washington!
In the last several years, our union has collectively fought and won huge improvements to training at UW that didn’t exist before. Immediately when you start at UW, you’ll receive benefits that are a direct result of our union fighting for you – like a $7,000 housing stipend (soon to be $8.5k), a FREE ($600/year) public transportation pass, a 4th week of vacation (and many more). If you want to learn more about what benefits and protections you will receive, check out our contract (collective bargaining agreement). Dues-paying members also receive access to additional benefits. In 2022, we affiliated with the national union representing interns, residents, and fellows, CIR, giving members access to a number of new benefits, committees, and resources. We were able to score these wins, and can continue to fight for better financial benefits and protections, because so many of us join as dues-paying members of our union.
As you prepare to start in your program, we encourage you to:
- Sign your membership card! We have a strong union because over 80% of residents and fellows at UW are dues-paying members! We have some of the lowest dues in the country at just 0.5% of your salary.
- Join us for a New Member Town Hall to learn more from current residents and board members about residency, Seattle, and being part of your Union. You’ll also be able to meet your future co-residents/fellows! Upcoming Town Halls (RSVP here):
Wednesday, April 19 from 6-7pm PDT
Thursday, April 27 from 3-4pm PDT
Thursday, May 11 from 6-7pm PDT
Tuesday, May 23 from 3-4pmPDT
- Join our Buy/Sell group on Facebook to find an apartment (or even a roommate!), furniture, and more!
- Follow RFPU and CIR on Social Media to stay up to date on what we’re all doing (you can find our accounts at the bottom of this email).
- Get Involved! Our union is strong because we all fight together to improve our workplace. We need you too! Sign up to become a Dept Rep for your program or join a working group! In addition to these groups, you have access to the CIR national committees listed here starting in AY23-24.
Congrats, again! Don’t hesitate to reach out if you have questions about RFPU/CIR/SEIU, residency, Seattle, or anything else about this new chapter in your life. You can always reach us at this email address.
Your RFPU/CIR Board and Staff